We all know that sleep is important. The human body is a machine and like any other machine needs time to recharge every day. You can’t perform at your best without getting at least 6 to 7 hours of sleep. In recent years, essential oils have become a trend to help people stay focused or asleep. In this, we will be discussing different essential oils that can help you sleep and incorporate them into your nighttime routine.
Best Essential Oils for Sleep
- One of the most popular essential oils for sleep and to reduce stress. The oil comes from the lavender shrub. Studies have shown that lavender oil can help improve your overall quality of rest.
- Recommendation for use: Create a bed spray by mixing 2 cups of distilled water, 1 tbsp witch hazel, and 10-20 drops of lavender. Mist lightly over your sheets and pillow before going to bed to help you calm down before you go to sleep.
- Comes from the Cananga tree located in the Asian and South Pacific rainforests. This oil is known for having sedative effects and is especially fragrant to create a relaxing environment and alleviate stress and tension.
- Recommendation for use: Combine a few drops of ylang ylang with coconut oil. Take that cream and massage it into your shoulders each night to remove any tension that has accumulated from the day.
- This oil comes from a herb that grows in the Mediterranean and North Africa. It is a calming essential oil that can aid you to sleep better.
- Recommendation for use: Combine coconut oil with 10-20 drops of marjoram essential oil. Put the mixture into a roller bottle and roll it on the bottom of your feet and the back of your neck to help you get a deeper night’s sleep.
- Comes from the Resin of Boswellia Sacra trees. This essential oil is an incredible sleeping aid because it has aromatherapeutic benefits, helps relieve stress, and promotes relaxation.
- Recommendation for use: Add a few drops of frankincense to steaming water for a nighttime facial. Not only is this great for you to go to bed, but also to open your lungs and clear your skin.
- Cedarwood essential oil comes from cedarwood tree bark. This oil is great if you struggle with insomnia because it has natural sedative properties and can be emotionally grounding to make you feel safe.
- Recommendation for use: Mix cedarwood essential oil with lavender essential oil for a potent relaxing blend. Put 3-5 drops into each oil in your diffuser before bed to keep you asleep.
- This hypnotic and soothing essential oil comes from bitter orange tree blossoms. This can help relieve insomnia, grief, and feelings of despair that could be interrupting your sleep. Studies have shown that neroli can reduce blood pressure, ease agitation, and benefit your overall well-being.
- Recommendation for use: Neroli is known for relieving menstrual cramps. Massage a few drops onto your abdomen before bed to alleviate pain.
- Chamomile essential oil can be a helpful sleep aid. It has stress-relieving properties by soothing anger, irritability, and agitation. This relieves any frustration you had from the day and have a good night’s sleep.
- Recommendation for use: Add a few drops of chamomile essential oil to your favorite lotion. Apply it in the evening to help you unwind before you go to bed.
How to Use Essential Oils
After reading through the different essential oils that help promote sleep, here is how you can use them in your bedtime routine. When using any new essential oil, make sure that you do a spot test by putting a drop on your wrist and letting it sit for 24 hours to make sure you don’t develop an allergic reaction.
Dilute Essential Oils
- When using an essential oil topically, make sure that you dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil. Undiluted essential oils can cause irritation on the skin. Common carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, and extra virgin olive oil. Use 1 teaspoon of carrier oil for every 1 drop of essential oil.
Essential Oil Diffuser
- Add 2-3 drops of essential oils into a diffuser. This will allow for the scent to be released into your house or bedroom.
Add Essential Oils to Your Pillowcase
- If you don’t want a diffuser running all night, you can add a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to your pillowcase before bedtime to allow for the scent to linger throughout your sleeping hours.
How to Stay Asleep at Night
Now that you know what essential oils are the best for sleep, here are some ways to upgrade your bedroom to get the most out of them.
Create a Relaxing Environment
- Once you have established what oil you want to use for the night make sure that you are creating a relaxing environment that is conducive for sleep. Keep light, noise, and temperature at levels that are comfortable and won’t disturb you. Try to avoid working in your bedroom, so then your brain can separate work from sleep.
Keep Clocks out of Sight
- Clock-watching can cause stress when you are worried about having to wake up for an important meeting the next day. Move your clock out of sight and make sure you set your alarm, to keep you asleep longer.
- Weighted blankets, like Quility Premium Weighted Blanket, promote sleep as they use a pressure stimulation to help you produce serotonin, the mood-boosting hormone, to reduce stress to improve your quality of sleep. You can put your favorite essential oil on the hem of your weighted blanket to add a little calmness.
- Although daytime napping can be great to catch up on the hours of sleep that you missed during the night. The problem is that it can throw your sleeping cycle off making it difficult for you to sleep when nighttime rolls around. Try to avoid daytime napping as much as possible to stay on track.
Essential oils can be a great way to improve your sleep and boost your quality of life. Make sure that you find the ones that work the best for you to reduce stress and promote calmness for the perfect sleep environment. Sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite!
Contributing Writer: Madeline Collins